Thursday, September 13, 2007

This is my city...

Things I saw today that were awesome:

-the empire state building from my subway platform. Usually the air is so smoggy that I can only see a vague outline of it, but this morning the air was so clear, I could see architectural detail.

-A guy wearing cranberry douchbag pants, velvet blazer, white shirt open to the chest and a black and white patterned silk ascot.

-An older guy who looked like he was an ageing rockstar. Long shaggy salt and pepper hair, great craggy face, denim shirt untucked from his jeans, well worn book in hand, glasses. I looked at him. He looked at me. We had a moment. (you know, as in "The pig and the farmer regarded each other...")

-little chinese boy about the same age as George who had many of the same habits. I waved, he nodded "no." I waved again, he hid his face and peered out from behind the edge of his stroller. I hid my face behind my hand, he peered a little bit harder. Then, as his mother was pushing him away, he waved and yelled "BYE"

No comments: