Tuesday, February 13, 2007

in a new york state of mind...

So some pretty awesome things I've seen and experienced during the last week in New York City.

-Three thuggish looking fellows get on the subway, talking "n----- this, and n----- that" and acting all tough. They sit down, and the first one pulls out a battered Jonathan Kellerman paperback and starts reading. The second one pulls out the latest James Patterson in hardcover. The third one pulls out Danielle Steele.

-A group of incredibly boisterous loud teenaged boys comes barrelling down the subway stairs next to me, as I'm carrying Georgia down in her stroller, rather precariously. I hear "whoa whoa whoa whoa." and one of the young men says "Are you ok? You need help? You allright?" and a couple of them help me down the stairs with the kid, and then run off being all boisterous again.

-A young girl with huge earrings and a bad attitude gives up her seat willingly to an elderly gentleman on the subway.

-Doors are held all over the city for the kid and I.

-I notice some pretty gooshy looks shot in my general direction when I start kissing my baby's head on the streets or on the subway.

-Some NYOBs (New York Old Bitches) in fur coats and diamonds and shoes and bags that cost more than I made in all of last year offer to help me with doors and packages and the baby, and whatever else I need. (NYOBs are the type who dress in the manner described above and look down their noses snootily at all of the riff raff that they're forced to encounter on the streets. I was feeling pretty cranky towards most of them, but then I started this great game of trying to get them to smile at me when I'm walking down the street.

-Lovely young businessmen on the subway offering to help me out with the kid, or gently assisting older homeless women into seats on the trains, or catching somebody who falls running down the stairs...

This city is so full of love and kindness. It's pretty amazing. I see it directed towards me, and towards others...

Of course, there are the VERY SERIOUS PEOPLE, and there are quite a few of them, but I'm pretty sure that they have hearts somewheres in there.

I'll find them. Really.

No comments: